Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Daily Life

So now that I've established where I live and what my surroundings look like, I think I'll turn more towards some of the details in my day-to-day life.

There are still plenty of photos and videos of my city and the neighboring areas that I have yet to capture, so I'll definitely be adding those as I go along. I'd love to edit a video together that really shows what the environment is like here.

Anyway, here are some random shots from the last week:
The sun off the coast

Like in Tokyo... the crows here are enormous. And terrifying.

My dinner from the other night. Gyoza (dumplings), green beans, and rice.

Note my chopsticks: The King of Kings. I don't want to brag, but...

Oh and for breakfast I had a "NICESTICK" - it's plain bread with a sweet butter filling. Decent, but I don't know if I'd get it again...

Thanks guys! My two new mugs, "I really like you!" and "Have a nice day!" Japan is the land of optimistic and positive designs.

Until recently, I'd been drinking the red version with enormous dissatisfaction. It does not taste like coffee. It tastes awful.

Leading me to stick mainly with a variety of canned coffee which I initially purchased at the konbini individually and later from the grocery store in bulk for a cheaper price.

Japanese canned coffee is great, but it's hard to find a variety that is unsweetened with milk or cream. The standard options are: black, black + sugar, cream/milk + sugar.

Also, they aren't really a substitute for fresh brewed, hot coffee... more like a midday snack coffee.


And then I took a risk and bought the blue version, without much knowledge as to its differences. The blue one tastes like normal, good coffee. I'm very glad I tried this type.

Let's investigate why...

The only difference, other than color, between these two labels is found on the banner at the bottom of the package. The red one says, "モカ・ベレンド" which, as the English above it suggests, "Mocha Blend."

I guess in Japan, they use the term "mocha" to convey that a product contains cat urine as a primary ingredient. Good to know.

The blue, one on the other hand, says, "豊かなコクのスペシャル・ブレンド" which translates into (if I'm not mistaken) "Extra Dark Special Blend." This leads me to believe that "Extra Dark" and "Special" in Japan mean, "Completely Normal." Again, good to know.

And this concludes the "Coffee Analysis with Timothy Reeder" section of this post. Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment