Sunday, May 29, 2011

Shrimp Festival

Almost all towns in Japan seem to distinguish themselves by being "known for something." For instance, a town south of Mashike is "known for" it's Dorayaki - which is a small wheat pancake filled with sweet red bean paste (azuki) and it's quite good.

Dorayaki (image stolen from Wikipedia)

So were these dorayaki anything special? No, they tasted exactly like all other dorayaki I've had. So regardless of their qualifications, a town or city may pick something as their specialty whether it's special or not.

Where am I going with this? Oh right, so Mashike is different in that it has rightfully earned it's designated specialty. So much so that they've put it on a majority of their sewer caps:

(nothing says "specialty foods" like a sewer cap)

As you can see, Mashike is known for two things: shrimp and cherries. And I've had a variety of their shrimp, which is excellent. Although they are known specifically for just one - which I believe is called "Sweet Shrimp."

Here's where my story starts (long intro, right?)

I woke up this morning to find my apartment parking lot and general vicinity swarming with people - cars parked everywhere.

Look in the distance - along that road in the background - nothing but cars parked on the shoulder.

The local junior high school as well.

And the park.

Upon entering the park I discovered it was the annual Shrimp Festival! And it was PACKED with tourists. So apparently Mashike is a little better known than I thought.

Lots of people picnicking, eating various seafood, but mostly shrimp.

The landscape has really gotten green these past few days.


No one bought me any toys... kinda disappointed.


Panoramic shot of one of three main festival areas.

MOON BOUNCE. Even though I'm 26, I still get nervous when I'm driving with my parents and we pass a moon bounce. I get scared they'll stop and make me get in it.

THE CAPTAIN ARRIVED!

I WANTED MY PICTURE WITH HIM BUT IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

And then they carried around the "Mikoshi" which is something of a mobile Shinto shrine for gods that don't mind small spaces and prefer traveling about.

"And that concludes our pants-wearing portion of the festival. You are now free to remove your pants if you are so inclined"

That is until "Coal Black" showed up and then everyone put their pants back on.

This little fellow was so happy. He really enjoyed his big day at the festival.


Final note: the played Britney Spears' new album on the loud speaker for most of the festival. Not a joke. I have video evidence. I will post it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment